Class And A Great Deal Of Mass
The A-70DA, which weighs more than 17 kilos, is not just about mass, it is above all about class: Separate mains transformers for pre-amplifier and amplifier sections, above all when they are individually cast and shielded as here, provide not only weight, but also working conditions with unsurpassed low interference for the audio circuitry. The doubled A-70DA is worth it because its pre-amplifier has a completely symmetrical layout. An individual, particularly low-loss loudspeaker volume control was even integrated for the symmetrical XLR input. Via its digital inputs the A-70DA is equipped for all modern music formats. In this respect, the very highest resolutions, such as Quad-DSD (11.2 MHz) and PCM with 384 kHz and 32 bit, are supported via USB. The high-resolution counterparts in the analog world are exclusive MC pick-ups which, thanks to the a switchable phono stage, supply this top model just as precisely as the widespread MM systems. With its doubled chassis, the full-metal loudspeaker knob and the thick aluminium front and side panels, the casing guarantees a suitably high-class performance.
Fully-Balanced Preamplifier Circuitry with Near Perfect Transmission
With isolated left/right symmetrical design and fully-balanced circuitry, the preamplifier allows extremely pure signal input to the output stage where the Class D amplifier awaits. This enables a signal amplification fully utilizing the brisk and powerful drive of the Class D amplifier. Moreover, connect with a balanced output device such as Pioneer’s N-70A network audio player or U-05 USB-DAC with headphone amplifier, and you are granted unprecedented high-resolution and high S/N reproduction with ultimately minimised transmission loss. Experience clear sound localisation and the rich expansion of the sound field, as vocals and the instrument’s every tone spring to life with overwhelming presence.
High-Fidelity Class D Amplifier
Pioneer has considerable advantage over other manufacturers with unrivalled experience in digital amplifiers. The Class D amplifier allows flexible circuit layout and patterning to realise optimal design within the constraints of amplifier construction. With multiple original parts supporting effective operation, the component fully brings out the best from the Class D amplifier, reproducing refreshing, pure sound with subtle details which could not be thoroughly expressed by analogue amplifiers.
Analogue Balanced Input (XLR)
Highly Renowned NEUTRIK terminals are used for analogue balance input (XLR3), achieving high-resolution sound by quality signal transmission to the pre-amplifier with fully-balanced circuitry design. The “hot” function can be switched between pin 2 and 3.
Twin Transformers in Shield Cases
Twin transformers—for the power amp and the pre amp—help keep the noise in the small signal area from transferring to the primary side of the power amp block, where it can significantly affect sound quality. The transformers are shielded in separate blocks with infill to minimise leakage flux from the transformer.
ESS SABRE32 Ultra DAC
High-performance 8ch ESS SABRE32 Ultra DAC is adopted on the A-70DA-K/-S. It features low noise and high S/N ratio that enable 4ch parallel drive for each channel at maximum 384 kHz. The result is clear and open, yet solid sound with superior audio quality.
384 kHz/32-bit USB-DAC for Asynchronous Transfer
The integrated amplifier allows direct USB connection with a PC. What’s more, the signal transfer is done with USB asynchronous transfer mode, which controls the transfer process by using its high-accuracy clock, ensuring high-quality sound reproduction. This eliminates jitter, reproducing master quality sound with extremely precise audio signals. In addition to 11.2 MHz DSD, the unit supports LPCM with sampling frequency of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, and 384 kHz, and quantization bit rate of 16, 24, and 32 bits.
Aluminium Panels and Knobs
Aluminium panels are used on the front and the sides, with extra-thick 3.5 mm front panel and 1.8 mm side panels providing rigidity for a stable performance. The machine-cut aluminium volume knob offers a solid, high-grade feel and style. The Input Selector, Balance, and Bass/Treble knobs are also made of aluminium.
- 90 W + 90 W (20 Hz-20 kHz, THD 0.5 %, 4 ohms)
- 65 W + 65 W (20 Hz-20 kHz, THD 0.5 %, 8 ohms)
- THD: 0.02 % (Rated Output -3 dB, 8 ohms, 1 kHz)
- Guaranteed Speaker Impedance: 4-16 ohms (A or B), 8-32 ohms (A+B), 4-16 ohms (Bi-Wiring)
- Frequency Response (Measured with DIRECT button switched on): SACD/CD, NETWORK, LINE1, LINE2 5 Hz-50 kHz, ±3 dB
- RIAA Deviation: PHONO MM 20 Hz-20 kHz, ±0.5 dB, PHONO MC 20 Hz-20 kHz, ±0.5 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (IHF, A Network, Short Circuited)
SACD/CD: 101 dB
Phono: 89 dB (MM: 5 mV input)/74 dB (MC: 0.5 mV input)
Power Amp Direct: 110 dB
- Channel Separation
SACD/CD: 90 dB (100 Hz), 84 dB (1 kHz), 75 dB (10 kHz)
Power Amp Direct: 95 dB (100 Hz), 95 dB (1 kHz), 80 dB (10 kHz)
- Pure Audio Grade High Efficiency Power ›› MOSFET Amplifier (Class D Amplifier)
- Fully-Balanced Preamplifier Circuitry
- Separated Construction for Preamp and Power Amp
- Source Direct Mode
- Highly Acclaimed ESS SABRE32 Ultra DAC
- 384 kHz/32-bit USB-DAC for Asynchronous Transfer
- Shielded Twin Transformer for Preamp and Power Amp
- Speaker A, B, A+B Selector
- Machine-Cut Aluminium Rotary Knob
- Aluminium Front/Side Panels
- Auto Power Down
- High-Grade AC Power Cord
- Rigid Under Base
- Aluminium Hair Line Finish Remote Controller
- Exclusive Gold-Plated Speaker Terminals (Large Type)
- Gold-Plated Analogue Audio Input (Phono MM/MC, Balanced, SACD/CD, LINE 1, LINE 2, NETWORK, USB, COAXIAL, POWER AMP DIRECT IN)
- USB Input for Asynchronous Transmission
- Digital Coaxial Input
- Digital Optical Input
- Audio Output (LINE 2, PHONES)
- SR In/Out
- AC Inlet (Large Type)
Dimensions & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 435 x 141.5 x 361.5 mm
- Weight: 17.2 kg
Download an overview of this DAC here.